All the advantages of accumulators for photovoltaic systems

It's widely considered the optimal solution, so let's examine the pros and cons of combining photovoltaic panels with an energy storage system.

Anyone who has installed a photovoltaic system on the roof of their home or business will know the advantages very well. For it gives you independence from the power grid (or at least limits your dependence, ed), especially in summer, producing clean energy and cutting your electricity bills

But although the system will operate at full capacity during the summer, the same cannot be said for the colder months. The way to benefit from the sun's free energy in the winter months is to combine your photovoltaic system with an accumulator system.

How do these accumulator systems work?

Before we explain how they work, let's take a closer look at the accumulator systems that can be used with photovoltaic systems. They are special types of batteries, designed to optimise the energy production of the system and to reduce electricity consumption. The main function of these accumulators, also known as energy storage systems, is to store the excess energy that is produced so that it can be drawn upon when needed.

A photovoltaic system consists of panels that produce electricity in direct current and an inverter that transforms it into alternating current, allowing it to be used at the same time it's produced (direct self-consumption). The energy that is produced but not used is instead fed into the power grid. However, an accumulator system allows you to defer self-consumption, avoiding any waste of energy and maximising the benefits of the whole production system.

In general, a photovoltaic system with an accumulator works by following these simple steps:

  • Morningthe energy produced is self-consumed, and any excess is stored in the batteries;
  • Afternoon: the accumulator reaches its maximum capacity, and any excess energy produced is fed into the power grid;
  • Evening: with the absence of the sun, the system stops producing energy. So the electricity stored in the batteries can be used;
  • Night: once the electricity stored in the accumulator is all used up, you go back to using electricity from the power grid.
Accumulator systems for companies: yes or no?

As we have seen, the storage system is perfect for a photovoltaic system in a home or condominium, as it allows you to use the electricity produced during the day either in the course of the evening or at night. But is this system also a valid solution for companies? The answer is yes. As long as the company's energy needs do not coincide with the times when the photovoltaic system is producing most of its energy. Here's an example. If a company needs energy at weekends, or uses a lot of electricity during the evening or at night, then installing an accumulator system would certainly be a great way to reduce its energy bills.


Photovoltaic system with accumulator and heat pump

By installing photovoltaic panels, you can produce clean, renewable energy to meet the needs of your business; and by combining this with an accumulator system you can further reduce your dependence on the power grid, using the energy that is stored in the batteries when the plant is not in operation. 

So why not use this energy to operate a heat pump, so that your company has an excellent heating/air conditioning system, as well as a supply of domestic hot water? Heat pumps require electricity, which accounts for about 25% of their energy needs; however, the remaining 75% of the energy they need to operate comes from renewable sources, such as outside air, groundwater or underground heat. 

If you combine the heat pump with a photovoltaic system, you can then power it with the free energy produced by the solar panels, avoiding the consumption of fossil fuels typically used by boilers, and making the whole system even more virtuous.

Photovoltaic energy storage: Clivet's solutions

Clivet has been selling its heat pumps on the market for more than 30 years; this technology is regarded as one of the most efficient systems for heating or cooling residential, commercial and industrial buildings, in terms of both energy savings and respect for the environment. 

You can now combine a new or existing photovoltaic system with Sinergy, the Clivet solution that allows you to store the electricity produced by the photovoltaic system during daylight hours and use it to power the air-conditioning and domestic hot water production system during the night or in the event of a grid power failure.

Sinergy pays for itself very quickly due to its high efficiency, and the system is designed to last for over 10,000 charge and discharge cycles, equivalent to almost 30 years of guaranteed operation.

Discover Sinergy accumulator